Eat Smart! Play Hard! Learn Better!
The USDA’s Team Nutrition is an integrated, behavior based, comprehensive plan for promoting the nutritional health of the nation’s children. This plan involves schools, parents, and the community in efforts to continuously improve school meals, and to promote the health and education of 50 million school children in more than 96,000 schools nationwide.
The goal of Team Nutrition is to improve children’s lifelong eating and physical activity habits through nutrition education based on the principles of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate.
Team Nutrition focuses on five specific behavior outcomes:
- Eat a variety of foods
- Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains
- Eat lower fat foods more often
- Get your calcium-rich foods
- Be physically active
Team Nutrition Grant Opportunities
- School Discover MyPlate and Serving Up MyPlate Applications are being accepted for these standards-based USDA health education curricula to help elementary teachers integrate nutrition education into Math, Science, English, Language Arts and Health. In addition to classroom materials, sub-grant funds in the amount of $5 per student are available to complete accompanying cooking/tasting activities. Those schools applying must participate in the School Meal Programs. Applications are due by August 31.
- Healthier CACFP Award Application for Child Care Centers that participate in the Child & Adult Care Food Program. Be awarded statewide and national USDA recognition and sub-grant for the steps you are taking to improve the Nutrition, Physical Activity, Nutrition Education and/or Environment in your child care center. You are always welcome to contact Kansas Team Nutrition staff with any questions or for assistance with the application.
If you have questions or would like to be notified when new programs are available, contact a Kansas Team Nutrition Staff Person:
Emily Brinkman at email@example.com or
Tessa Adcock at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kansas Team Nutrition is actively working to promote a number of health education programs to support schools’ wellness policy goals. Kansas Team Nutrition resources: Power Panther Pals, Power Up!, Power Panther Professionals, Power Panther Preschool, Body Venture, and Family Fun, Food & Fitness Events. In addition, Kansas Team Nutrition Schools have access to health education resources and personalized technical assistance from Registered Dietitians.
Kansas Team Nutrition is focused on continuing to support implementation of school wellness policy goals and academic achievement by nurturing healthier students and a healthy school environment.
This is a link to USDA's Team Nutrition resources.